Monday, February 9, 2009

Social Media: How do I keep up?

Using social media sites can be beneficial in many aspects of our lives. They can keep us connected with friends, allow us to collaborate with others, and even give us the opportunity to make professional connections. 

Until recently, my social media experience was limited to facebook. This all changed in the last few weeks when I created my twitter account, began following bloggers on Bloglines, joined LinkedIn, and logged on to PR Open Mic. 

While I am excited to enter these new realms of the social media world, I am also faced with the daunting task of visiting them all and staying active on a weekly basis. So far it has proven to be a challenge for me. How do I make time in my schedule? And, once I have made time in my schedule, how do I remember to check them?

In a recent post, David Finch spoke to this topic and referred to it as "creating social media rituals". Finch reminded readers that social media are not simply a task to finish and "cross off the list". The world of social media is about building and maintaining positive relationships and putting a face next to a brand or product. For these reasons it is important to dedicate time to understanding and utilizing the different aspects of social media. 

For those of us who are new to using social media or are feeling overwhelmed, Finch offers a few tips or rituals. He advises new users to be active listeners in order to weed out the sales pitches. Finch explains that others will be more willing to listen to you if you establish yourself as a good listener. Finch also advises that new users start slow. "Find two or three tools or communities that you want to start with and develop your social media habits there." 

My advise? Don't be afraid to dive head first into the world of social media. While the idea horrified me at first, I have enjoyed learning about all that these tools have to offer. The connections that you will make will no doubt prove to be invaluable in the future. Social media sites and tools give users the chance to build relationships, collaborate, and learn from one another. Take your time, be patient, and you too will begin to see that social media tools are an accessory worth having. 

Images: www.cyberlearning-world.com

No comments:

Post a Comment