Monday, February 9, 2009

The Power of Sustainable Relationships

As I am preparing to enter the "real world" and start my career, I am learning that there are some actions worth taking to ensure my success. Building business relationships and contacts now is especially important for those of us expecting to graduate in the spring. 

Earlier this year I made the decision that I would like to end up in Los Angeles or San Francisco post college. Once I had made this decision, I began seeking out public relation firms and other organizations that I might be interested in working for in those areas. After firming up my resumé with the help of some of my professors, I began to "email pitch" myself to the organizations I was interested in. It is my hope that I will be able to set up informational interviews with some of them during my spring break this year. 

Making these contacts and setting up informational interviews can not be the end if you are truly serious about building relationships with professionals and organizations that you are interested in. Once you have built a relationship, you must maintain it. In a recent post, University of Oregon alum, Jessica Lomelin spoke about her job search and how building relationships proved to be helpful for her. Once Jessica had met with a firm, she continued to stay in contact with them. She would research their clients and industry and email them requesting further information on particular campaigns or cases. 

Jessica explained, "I had maintained a relationship and showed that I was taking the time to research their clients and was eager to learn more." Jessica's research and positive relationship building proved to be beneficial for her. She was eventually hired by Weber Shandwick, an agency she had worked diligently to stay in contact with. 

Jessica offers tips and advice for students, like myself, who are currently searching for their next move after graduation. She explains the importance of utilizing your resources such as professors, other students, and groups such as PRSSA. She also advises students to set up informational interviews early and often. Once you have met with someone, send them a thank you letter, and keep up to date on their company's activities. Lastly, don't be afraid to be persistent. 

I look forward to setting up as many informational interviews as I can during spring break, and then continuing to build upon those relationships. I have learned that it is not enough to create a relationship, you must maintain it. The more you know about an organization you are interested in, than the better off you will be. Demonstrating your knowledge in their activities by communicating with them often will display your dedication and interest in their work. 

Images: www.derbigum.com

No comments:

Post a Comment