Monday, February 2, 2009

Finding my future; always on my mind.


As a college senior, my future and the changes that lie ahead of me are always lingering in my mind. While I used to worry about what classes to take next term, I now find myself wondering how I will get to a place that remains unknown. Academics and extracurricular activities are important to building an impressive resume, but as the old saying goes, "It's not what you know, but who you know". In the past year I have found that networking and building relationships will most likely be the most important thing that I can do to ensure my future in the world of public relations. 

During my quest for my future, I have not forgotten to consider the current job market and economy facing all soon to be graduates. For these reasons it has become even more important to begin building relationships early. But what is too early? In a recent post, Lindsay Olson said "beginning a job search four to six months prior to graduation is a good and ideal time frame." Olson went on to explain the importance of finding companies you may be interested in working for and setting up informational interviews. She also reminded readers to consider internships because they can prove to be positive learning experiences and often turn into full-time positions. 

Reading Olson's post and responding to her thoughts reminds and motivates me to push on in the search for my future. It will be important for me, and other graduates interested in public relations, to create as many contacts as possible. While I remain unsure of what my future holds for me, I have the confidence to know that it is waiting. Now, I just have to find it. 

images: SethMcAllister.com/blog

No comments:

Post a Comment