Monday, February 23, 2009

Creating a Stronger Resume

I recently began the process of updating my resume. While this sounded easy to me at first, I quickly realized how challenging it can be to make your resume unique and interesting to read. 

After meeting with teachers and getting advice from friends, I was a bit overwhelmed with information. In the end I learned that there are many ways that you can successfully format and write your resume.

I was lucky enough to have a former University of Oregon student help me while I edited and updated the format of my resume. In a recent post, Staci Stringer offers many resume tips and hints on her blog

Staci offers quite a few helpful hints, but a few stood out to me in particular. First and foremost, it is important to keep your resume to one page or less. Even if you have a lot of experience, it is important to keep it brief. 

Think of your resume as a hot piece of real estate and use it to highlight your unique skills and attributes. Social media skills are unique and would be important to speak about in a resume. Staci explains, "many employers these days are looking for new talent that hold that skill set. So don't be shy." 

Last but not least, Staci advises students such as myself to be adventurous and try new styles, fonts and formats. It is easy to get stuck with traditional formats, but being adventurous, within reason, can really set you apart in a unique way with your resume. Don't forget to have a few extra sets of eyes look over your final product and encourage edits and positive criticism. 

Happy updating and editing! 

Images: www.biojobblog.com/resume.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment